We went away this weekend to our resting place. We enjoyed the scenery, the sounds, even the snow. Mostly we enjoyed the rest.
Scripture uses the phrase “resting place” three times in the KJV.
The first time is in Numbers. Israel is looking for a physical place to rest for them and the ark of the covenant. I really like Moses declaration when the ark is set to rest. God’s presence with Israel is resting and his enemies will scatter and flee. No wonder resting in Him is so powerful.
(33) And they departed from the mount of the LORD three days’ journey: and the ark of the covenant of the LORD went before them in the three days’ journey, to search out a resting place for them.
(34) And the cloud of the LORD was upon them by day, when they went out of the camp.
(35) And it came to pass, when the ark set forward, that Moses said, Rise up, LORD, and let thine enemies be scattered; and let them that hate thee flee before thee.
The second time is in a prayer of David’s asking for God to rise to His resting place. It seems God answers prayers from His resting place.
2 Chronicles 6:41
(41) Now therefore arise, O LORD God, into thy resting place, thou, and the ark of thy strength: let thy priests, O LORD God, be clothed with salvation, and let thy saints rejoice in goodness.
The third mention of resting place is a warning to the wicked. They are warned not to spoil the resting place of the righteous.
(15) Lay not wait, O wicked man, against the dwelling of the righteous; spoil not his resting place:
When I first read this verse I realized the righteous are to have a resting place. After seeing the other mentions of resting place I am wondering if the warning is because like our God our power is in our resting, in our covenant with Him for protection and provision. Spoil can mean rob or destroy.
God has a resting place. We, the righteous, have a resting place in God. He gave us one day in seven to rest, to be refreshed.
Question: Do you have a physical place of rest? How often do you go there?
Challenge: Choose, find or make a place of rest in our near your home so you can rest often.