Looking at sources for encouragement and discouragement I came up with more sources of discouragement! No wonder it can be so hard to stay encouraged. It definitely takes being intentional.
4 Sources of Discouragement
For me discouragement comes from four sources; Satan, the world, others, and myself.
Satan discourages me with:
- Temptation to worry or try to be in control
- Reminders of my past
The world uses discouraging voices of:
Other people discourage me if:
- They don’t respond the way I wanted them to
- I don’t feel understood by them
- We value relationship differently
- When they try to give me their problems as if they are mine own
I discourage myself by:
- I agree with any of these other voices
- Forget it’s about progress not perfection
- I think my value from people’s approval
- My identity is in what I can do and do well
I don’t set out to discourage myself. It’s a bad habit I’m replacing with building myself up in the Lord. With all those sources trying to discourage me I have some choices to make.
Who will I listen to? Which side will I be on?
No mater how many voices there are I am responsible for my attitude, for my mind-set. I can choose encouragement. I find encouragement when I am intentional about tuning out the voices of discouragement and tuning in the sources of encouragement: God, others, and myself.
God encourages me in these ways:
- Revealing Himself in Scripture
- Speaking truth to my heart
- Through other people
Other people encourage me by:
- Reminding me who I am, that they believe in me
- Offering practical support: meals, dishes, childcare
I encourage myself by:
- Remembering what God has said
- Remembering the encouragement of others
- Singing songs of truth
- Reading scripture
- Speaking truth out loud
- Creating something to remind me: a sketch, a painting, a journal entry
What source of discouragement do you find yourself listening to?
How do you encourage yourself?
During a quiet time God gave me this idea for directing my thoughts for the day. In the morning I write out my day with the acronym FATHER.
Read the other posts:
- Focus 10 Tips to Refocus
- Authority 4 Ways to Exercise Authority in Faith
- Thanksgiving 5 Ways to Practice Being Thankful
- Hope Hold on to Hope
- Encouragement You are here 🙂
- Rest 2 Steps to Finding Rest: Remember and Come
For some examples read 6 Ways to Direct Your Thoughts