- Ping by Marjorie Flack and Kurt Wiese
- paper (here’s one you can print)
- paint or oil pastels or crayons and an iron*
Read and discuss the story. Enjoy. Stop to ask and answer questions. There are many great lessons to explore. In Story Time I touched on discipline being better than other options. I figure most children hear enough about that. I focused on the reflections in the water showing how we can reflect the love of God to others.
- Why are there rules?
- Why do we get disciplined?
- Would it be better for Ping to have taken the swat than hide?
- How important is family?
- How do you reflect God’s love? How can people see God’s love in you?
- Share how you see God’s love reflected in each other.
- Fold your paper in half. (Our group, using the picture I drew, did the process twice. First for the boat, then for the duck and water.)
- Draw and color or paint a duck like Ping on the fold of your paper.
- Add some water around Ping.
- Fold the paper the other way and press the color from one side to the other. *If you color with crayon iron lightly to transfer wax from one half to the other.
Jesus replied, “‘You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’
Matthew 22:37 NLT
But first be concerned about God’s kingdom and his righteousness, and all of these things will be provided for you as well.
- glass of water, one you can see through the side
- Put some water in a glass.
- Why does the water stay in the glass? (Your children can offer their thoughts)
- What happens if we tip the glass too far? The water will run out. Why? (Listen to their ideas).
- Does the water run out because someone doesn’t like us? (No)
- Does it stay in the glass because we are good? (No) The water stays in the glass, stays level in the glass and runs out of the glass all for the same reason. The reason is gravity, a natural law God put in place.
Gravity always works exactly as God designed it to work. It works with all the other natural laws just as they are designed to work.
God put spiritual laws in place that always work just as He designed them to. Each one always works with the other spiritual laws just like God planned.
God loves us and set up rules so we would know how to have His spiritual laws bless us. If we want the water to stay in the cup we have to work with gravity and keep the cup upright. If we want close relationship with God we work with His spiritual laws. The most important one is to love Him most. When we love Him most He promises to take care of everything else.